King Arthur Flour has some great recipes. Unfortunately, I don’t have a doughnut pan, so I improvised.
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the lightly greased doughnut pans, filling the wells to about 1/4″ shy of the rim.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
- For cinnamon doughnuts, shake warm doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup cinnamon-sugar. For sugar-coated doughnuts, shake doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/2 cup non-melting topping sugar (for best results), or confectioners’ sugar.
- For frosted doughnuts, see our three easy doughnut glazes. Sprinkle the glazed doughnuts with toasted coconut or chopped nuts, if desired.