This is supposed to be the recipe of the year. Let’s see.
2 cups thoroughly mashed banana; about 4 or 5 medium ripe bananas
2/3 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Lightly grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed banana, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts into the banana mixture. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix again to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake the bread for about 60 to 75 minutes, until the bread feels set on the top, and a paring knife (or other thin knife) inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs (but no wet batter). If the bread appears to be browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the final 15 to 20 minutes of baking.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Cool it in the pan for 15 minutes, then loosen the edges, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
I worked with this recipe.