A dozen apple rose tarts for when you really need some forgiveness. I apologize for the pre-made puff pastry but homemade puff pastry is for the weekend.
Ingredients: to make 6 roses
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 4 red organic apples (I used red delicious)
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
- 3 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- powder sugar for decorating (optional)
1. Thaw the puff pastry if you haven’t done so yet. It should take about 20-30 minutes.
2. Prepare a bowl with some water and the lemon juice. Cut the apples in half, remove the core and cut the apples in paper thin slices, as shown in my picture. Leave the peel so it will give the red color to your roses. Right away, place the sliced apples in the bowl with lemon and water, so that they won’t change color.
3. Microwave the apples in the bowl, for about 3 minutes, to make them slightly softer. If you prefer, you can also simmer the apple slices in the water in a small pan (on the stove).
4. Unwrap the puff pastry over a clean and lightly floured counter. Using a rolling pin stretch the dough a little, trying to keep it in a rectangular shape. Cut the dough in 6 strips. These are about 2 in x 9 in (5 cm x 22 cm). Repeat so you have a dozen.
5. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on the rolled out dough. 6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drain the apples.
7. Place the apples on the dough, as shown in the video tutorial. Sprinkle with more cinnamon if so desired.