The cookie version of a slap.
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
zest of two lemons
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Cream butter and sugar until the mixture is smooth and silky. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla followed by poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, beating just until it disappears. It is better to underbeat than overbeat. Turn the dough out onto a counter, gather it into a ball, and divide it in half. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Working on a smooth surface, form each piece of dough into a log that is about 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick. (Get the thickness right, and the length you end up with will be fine.) Wrap the logs in plastic and chill for 2 hours. (The dough can be wrapped airtight and kept refrigerated for up to 3 days)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- Using a sharp slender knife, slice each log into cookies about 1/3 inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, or until they are set but not browned. Transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool to room temperature.
I altered this recipe.